Saturday, December 11, 2010

my daily omen

"So The Miner's structured very differently from, say, Soseki's Sanshiro, your typical modern bildungsroman?
I nod. "I don't know about that, but you might be right. Sanshiro grows up in the story. Runs into obstacles, ponders things, overcomes difficulties, right? But the hero of The Miner's different. All he does is watch things happen and accept it all. I mean, every now and again he gives his own opinions, but nothing very deep. Instead, he just broods over his love affair. He comes out of the mine pretty much the same as he went in. He has no sense that it was something he decided to do himself, or that he had a choice. He's.... totally passive."

- Haruki Murakami


*stumbled upon this passage while reading Kafka on The Shore this morning, and for some reason, it felt like a slap in the face... I hope I'll finally be able to wake up after this..

No comments: